Friday, June 19, 2015

TPT Seller Challenge: Makeover Madness!

I am SO STINKIN' excited to be taking part in the TPT Seller Challenge! Don't know what I'm talking about? Click here for more info! 

I only just finished my first year of teaching, so this challenge is perfect for me! Other than being on Teachers Pay Teachers and having a Professional Instagram Account, I have not yet stretched out across all social media platforms. As you can see, my beginning stats are pretty embarrassing: 


On top of the weekly challenges, I have taken this challenge as an opportunity to convert my Pinterest account to a business account, set up a professional Facebook & Twitter Account and, what I am most excited about, start blogging! Now, I know my blog currently looks pretty rough, but bare with me, I promise that is soon to change! I have already contacted the fabulous Designs by Tenille and am hoping to have my blog design completed and ready to go within the next month or so- EEK, I CANNOT WAIT!!! :)
 

Now, back to the weekly challenges. The first challenge, "Makeover Madness," gave us a week to makeover one of our products. I automatically knew which product I was going to revamp-- below is one of the very first products I ever made & posted on TPT:


YIKES!!! Right?! 

As you can obviously see, it was pretty pathetic. But, thanks to this weeks Makeover Madness Challenge, it got the much needed facelift it deserved. The challenge stated that our makeover could be something as simple as changing the cover of our product, so that's where I started. Here's the new cover: 

WOAH! Now we're talkin'! 

It's pretty amazing how big of a difference simply spicing up the cover page can make on the overall perception of a product. Because, let's be honest, we all judge products based on their cover, at least a little bit. ;) BUT, I didn't stop there! No, no, no. While I have loved the teaching idea behind this product since I first made it, my graphics and overall presentation were highly mediocre-- and, if there is one thing I am not, it is mediocre. So, I used some of Melonheadz' fabulous clip art to spice up the entire product! Here was the end result: 

MUCH BETTER!!! 
Other than adding a few new "tools" (aka: reading and writing strategies), the only thing I changed about my product was the clip art, but what a HUGE difference that simple change made! 
The writing and/or reading “toolbox” is a simple, fun, and engaging way to teach students how to become good writers and readers. Just cut out the tools (13 different "tools" [aka: strategies] offered in both color and black & white), laminate them, and place them in a crayon box (“toolbox”) labeled “My Writing Toolbox”/ “My Reading Toolbox”/ “My Writing AND Reading Toolbox”... What ever you wish to use them for! 
At the beginning of the year, introduce the writing toolbox by telling the students that this toolbox contains all of the “tools” we need to be good writers. Explain how each tool helps us/why each tool is important. As the year goes on, select one or two of the tools per week for students to focus on while they are writing. Hang the selected tools on the board as a quick visual reminder for the students. Most of these tools could also be used as reading strategies. The same concept would apply- these are the "tools" we need to become good readers!
 
This product is 50% off until Sunday- go grab it while it's on sale! (Click the picture below to go to my TPT store.)
 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/My-Writing-and-Reading-Toolbox-1179164

I am seriously beyond thrilled about this challenge! What a great way to get teachers inspired and motivated! I cannot wait for next weeks challenge!! :)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your makeover product! I too am a new teacher and can completely relate to getting yourself out there! I just recently started blogging too and I absolutely love the community of teachers out there! I also follow you on IG and it's funny that I remember seeing it on there and thinking that your makeover was super cute! Best of luck! I'm so you'll stats will go up after this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on starting to your blog!! The new product and clipart is great - love Melonheadz!! I used a toolbox theme throughout the year - my grade 1's love the idea of using their learning tools! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby, first of all congratulations on finishing your first year teaching. Yeah for you! I remember that year. Your Toolkit makeover is terrific. Love the clip art choice -- the cover is cute and eye-catching. Best wishes as you venture out with new experiences.
    The Red Brick Road Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelby, first of all congratulations on finishing your first year teaching. Yeah for you! I remember that year. Your Toolkit makeover is terrific. Love the clip art choice -- the cover is cute and eye-catching. Best wishes as you venture out with new experiences.
    The Red Brick Road Teacher

    ReplyDelete